Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pumpkin + Cupcakes = 7 Year Old Bliss



So yeah...cupcakes are pretty much the reason my 7 year boy gets up each day.  If the world were suddenly bereft of the little frosted cakes of goodness, I'm sure he'd have a nervous breakdown. 

He may have a small sweet tooth.

He also, like his momma, loves anything pumpkin.  And I do mean love.  Yesterday when I announced that we were going to bake pumpkin cupcakes, I honestly think I saw a hint of lust flicker in his eyes.  Or he may have been farting.  But either way, he grabbed his stool and was at the counter faster than you can stinky.  (I think he really did fart.)

Anywho, I had a request over on Facebook for this recipe, which I got out of the Taste of Home Ultimate Halloween magazine, so without further ado, here it is:

Aidan takes his mixing duties quite seriously.  He may have also snuck a taste or 15.
Surprise Pumpkin Cupcakes

Ingredients:

1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil (I used regular vegetable oil, which is soybean oil and it worked just fine)
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
 Filling:
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg

  1. In a large bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended.  In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gradually beat into the pumpkin mixture until blended.
  2. For filling, in another small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.  Add egg; beat on low until just combined.
  3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups one-third full.  Drop filling by tablespoonfuls into the center of each cupcake.  Cover with remaining batter.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the pumpkin portion comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.  
  5. Frost with cream cheese canned frosting; sprinkle with Halloween candies.

Our finished masterpiece!
I have to add that throughout the making of these little frosted nuggets of orgasmic joy, Aidan kept saying, "These are going to be SO good, mom.  Did you taste the mix?  Soooo good.  We make the best cupcakes." 

He was right, they were soooo good.  In fact, there are only two things that would make these babies better....being calorie free and having them fed to me by a naked Gerard Butler while he speaks in that f*ckhot Scottish accent.  Yeah.  I love me some cupcakes...

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha... I'll swap the naked Gerard Butler for a naked Daniel Craig. But I'll try your delicious recipe even if Mr. Craig doesn't stop by. Isn't baking with your kiddo the best?

    ReplyDelete